I was supposed to attend Copyblogger’s Headline Clinic on Thursday, December 15, but I had a meeting regarding Event and Party Planning. Anyway … As a freelance writer, it’s important to write appealing headlines for your clients as well as personal projects such as blogs, newsletters, articles, teleseminars, webinars and so forth. Below you’ll find 7 steps to writing catchy headlines.
Freelance Writers Follow These 7Steps to Write Catchy Headlines
1. Know your target audience and write for them.
2. Write headlines that contain 40-80 characters.
3. Identify the problem and offer a solution in the form of a question. Example: How to Write a Newsletter in 5 Easy Steps.
4. Pay attention to headlines in the newspaper and online. See how they create a call to action or make you want to stop and read the post.
5. Use the headline formulas of Question + Problem = Solution or Question + Problem + Solution = Specific Answer.
6. Make a statement without making a statement. Translation: statement headlines can appear weak — use them in moderation.
7. Read gossip magazines (I know) to see how they write jaw dropping headlines.